1. Description: A Gold color
medal, 1 3/8 inches in width, consisting of a wreath superimposed by two
crossed scimitars saltire wise and a Maltese cross.
In the center of the Maltese cross a disc with an outline of the country of
2. Ribbon: The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and consists of the following stripes: 3/8 inch Old Glory Red 67156; center 5/8 inch Golden Yellow 67104 with 16 strands of Old Glory Red; and 3/8 inch Old Glory Red.
3. Criteria: a. U.S. Military
units were individually cited for award of the Republic of Vietnam (RVN)
Gallantry Cross; however, the Vietnamese Government issued the award to all
units subordinate to Military Assistance Command (MACV) during the period 8
February 1962 and 28 March 1973 and to U.S. Army Vietnam and its subordinate
units for the period 20 July 1965 to 28 March 1973. This permits all personnel
who served in
b. The medal was awarded by the Vietnam Government to military personnel who have accomplished deeds of valor or displayed heroic conduct while fighting the enemy and have been cited individually at the regiment, brigade, division, corps, or armed forces level.
4. Components: The following
are authorized components of the
a. Medal (regular size): Not issued. Available commercially.
b. Medal (miniature size): Not issued. Available commercially.
c. Ribbon: MIL-R-11589/173. Commercially available.
d. Streamers: Awarded to cited units. Inscription is as indicated on the unit's lineage and honors. Requisition in accordance with Chapter 9, Army Regulation (AR) 840-10.
e. Unit Award: Commercially available.
5. Background: a. The RVN Gallantry Cross was established by the Vietnam Government by Decree No. 74-b/Qt, dated 15 August 1950 and Decree No. 96/DQT/HC, dated 2 May 1952. Authorization for all U.S. Army personnel was confirmed in HDQA General Orders No. 8, dated 19 March 1974.
b. Only one emblem (with palm) will be worn regardless of the number of times the unit was awarded the RVN Gallantry Cross. The Army initially authorized the wear of a fourragere by letter AGPB-AC, Subject: Wear of Vietnamese Unit Awards by U.S. Army Personnel, dated 11 February 1969, for units which had been awarded the RVN Gallantry Cross with palm on two or more occasions. Department of the Army message 111030Z April 1974, established the policy that only one emblem was authorized, thus precluding the wear of the Vietnamese fourrageres which represented multiple awards.